Woman Engineer Magazine, launched in 1979, is a career-guidance and recruitment magazine offered at no charge to qualified women engineering, computer science and information technology students & professionals seeking employment and advancement opportunities in their careers.
This magazine reaches students and professional women engineers nationwide at their home addresses, colleges and universities, and chapters of student and professional organizations.
If you are a woman engineering student or professional, Woman Engineer is available to you FREE!
» Featured Articles
» Subscription Information
» Reader Survey
» Companies Actively Recruiting
Five Traits To Be a Successful Professional Woman in a Man’s World
Women can certainly succeed in a man’s world, regardless of what field it may be. And I like to remind people that the race goes not to the swift, nor the strong, but the one who endured till the end.
Never forget that there’s strength in your stiletto. Your feminine touch and intuition can go a long way toward your success in business. If you want to succeed in a field that is typically seen as a man’s world, then you absolutely will.
So what does it take to be so successful in today’s professional world, especially as a minority and a female who is entering a field dominated by men? Here are five traits that every woman needs to succeed in such a field:
1. Being Determined. It’s critical that those who enter a field dominated by men are determined that they will succeed in it. With that resolve, it’s easy to turn back and run out the door when caught in room filled with testosterone.
2. Having Authenticity. Being unique helps set people apart and keeps them from being lost in the crowd. In a field where all of the men are wearing the same suits, dare to be different and get yourself noticed.
3. Having Thick Skin. Entering a man’s world is no place for the weak. There’s bound to be criticism, and women are going to be scrutinized even more. It’s important that women learn how to take criticism and not let it hold them back. Resilience will help keep you going, rather than being tripped up on small issues.
4. Believing in Yourself. Every woman needs to be confident in order to make it in a field dominated by men. Confidence will keep you going, help you network and keep you ahead of the game. Know both your skills and your worth, and place a high value on it.
5. Being Patient. Success in any field doesn’t typically come overnight, but it’s especially not likely to if you go into a field where women are the minority. Be prepared to prove yourself via hard work. Your longevity and patience will pay off in the long run.
As a minority, a woman and a millennial, I’ve shown that I have what it takes to succeed in a field dominated by men. So I say that no matter what, make it a strong finish. People often give up too early when they encounter challenges. Take the challenges on, and you will enjoy the victory that much more.
» Feedback for the Editor
» Request Article Copy